Whether you prefer a beach getaway, or a skiing adventure we have you covered. Here are our top 5 coolest vacation spots we want to go for the month of December.
1. Copenhagen, Denmark
December in Copenhagen is a winter wonderland. Winter is low tourist season all over Europe, making it the perfect time to go explore without the crowds. The Danish word “hygge” doesn’t really translate in English, but it could be described as “cozy” which is what wintertime is all about! Copenhagen oozes “hygge” so get in the holiday spirit by shopping Tivoli Gardens’ Christmas Market and eating pastries (especially the danishes)!
2. Playa Hermosa, Costa Rica
Escaping the cold weather never looked so good. Costa Rica is known for it’s stellar surfing, and gorgeous rain forests. YES, PLEASE. By mid-December summer is feeling so far away, so a relaxing week on the beach seems pretty ideal for a holiday.
3. Aspen, Colorado
Aspen IS winter. Aspen makes the perfect location for a skiing weekend getaway. Every December, downtown Aspen has a holiday market with different vendors and activities that you cannot miss. Bring along your apres-ski hot toddy or mulled cider to keep your hands warm!
4. Sugar Beach, St. Lucia
Sugar Beach literally looks like a beach made of sugar. Sugar without all the calories? We’re in. Just thinking about lying on the beach with a strawberry daiquiri is enough to make us hop on a plane right. now.
5. Phuket, Thailand
With temperatures averaging at 85 degrees in December, Phuket is calling our name. For the more adventurous set, a trip to Thailand calls for boat excursions around the cliffs, riding an elephant, a rocking nightlight scene, and gorgeous beaches all in one. Not to mention, the cuisine is known to be so authentic and delicious you may never want to order in from the Thai restaurant around the corner ever again.
Escaping the cold? Bring Phyllis + Rosie along! Whether you’re off to an island or a family holiday, here are our essentials when packing for a vacay in style.
1. Camera: Your camera is an absolute necessity when going on vacation. Bring a Polaroid camera to snap fun pictures and document every memory with a click of a button. iPhones work too for easy instagram posting access.
2. Sunscreen: If you’re lucky enough to be running away to the beach, sunscreen is an absolute must! Even if you don’t burn, it’s important to always remember to apply at least an SPF of 30 and protect your skin. Our fave is this one - pricey but, worth it.
3. Hammered Cuffs: To give your vacation looks the final touch; you cannot forget to bring everyone’s favorite P+R cuffs. A stack of our hammered cuffs seamlessly go from relaxing poolside to a candlelit dinner. Throw a few of these in your travel jewelry case and you’re good to go!
4. Sunglasses: Pick your favorite shades (or two) to bring along. A classic aviator and a plastic pair usually cover it. Polarized work best when you’re beachin’ it or hitting the slopes to protect your eyes from the sun.
5. Bar Necklace: Our can easily be worn with any outfit when you are on the go. The bar necklace is a wardrobe staple that you can wear while travelling, and when you arrive to your destination. If nothing else, adorn yourself in a bar necklace and you’re right on trend without trying too hard.
The Winter season is here, and we are all about blanket scarves. These big cozy scarves are popping up all over on the streets of NYC. Not only are they fashionable, but they also keep you super warm all day. We are obsessed with Urban Outfitters’ huge selection of oversized scarves. You’re bundled neck offers the perfect opportunity to show off your arm party of "bundled up" P+R cuffs.
Our monogram shop is open for business! These customized necklaces and bracelets are the perfect way to gift yourself or someone you love.
Monogram necklaces are a staple for any jewelry collection, and the perfect way to personalize your own look. Here at P+R we are all about creating your individual style, so what better way to express that than a custom piece? Dress them up or down, monogram necklaces can be worn every day to add a classic, personal touch to any outfit. The possibilities are endless, and we’re digging engraved dates (your anniversary, your first date, a birthday) or nicknames on the bracelet or necklace styles.
1. Brussels sprouts had such a bad rap growing up. Suddenly, their trending “moment” arrived and ever restaurant was topping these delicious little cabbage look alikes with pancetta or bacon. I like my to keep my veggies sans meat and The Crunchy Radish does a delicious take on Brussels Sprouts with Shiitake Bacon, recipe found here.
1. My cousin Amy is a Holistic Nutrition Counselor and fabulous chef who has become known as the "Quinoa Queen" in our family. She shared her recipe for Kale Salad with Acorn Squash, Apples, and Pepitas below and we can't wait to eat it!
Kale Salad with Acorn Squash, Apples and Pepitas
For the Salad
1 giant bunch of kale (about 4 cups)
2 acorn squash
¾ cup raw pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
2 crisp apples (not too tart)
3 tablespoons extra virgin coconut oil
2 teaspoon brown sugar
Splash of salt and olive oil
For the Dressing
1 garlic clove, minced
½ teaspoon of Celtic sea salt
1/3 cup fresh apple cider
1 tablespoon maple syrup
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
Preheat your oven to 400°F. In a small pan combine the coconut oil and brown sugar over medium-low heat and stir until melted. Take off the heat. Cut off the ends of each acorn squash and scoop out the seeds. Slice squash into 1/2-inch round slices. Place squash rings on 2 large baking sheets. Brush the oil mixture over both sides of the squash rings. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Slice apples into thin slices and add to the coconut oil remaining in the pan. Stir and then place apples in a single layer on a separate baking sheet.
Bake the squash rings for 20 minutes, flipping once halfway if desired. Add apples after 10 minutes so that the apples cook along with the squash for 10 minutes. Take them both out of the oven when they are just lightly browned.
To make the dressing, chop and mash a clove of garlic into a bowl or small jar with a little of the salt. Mix together with cider, syrup, cumin, olive oil and remaining salt.
While everything is cooling, wash and chop the kale and place in a large salad bowl.
Toast pepitas in a dry skillet on medium-low heat until fragrant. After taking the pan off the heat, toss with a dash of olive oil and salt.
Assemble salad by layering the squash rings on top of the outside of the kale bowl. Place apples and pepitas in the center. Drizzle dressing over everything and serve!
This recipe can be made ahead of time by preparing the dressing, squash, apples and pepitas the day before and just assembling after bringing all ingredients to room temperature.
3. Sweet and salty desserts are the tops. Jessica Seinfeld's Chocolate Popcorn can satisfy your sweet tooth and help you avoid gorging yourself on pies, cookies, and cakes post-thanksgiving feasting.
The holiday season is slowly creeping up on us. If you’re looking for the perfect gift for someone special, or just want to #TreatYoSelf, look no further.
Winter is all about layering up, so why leave your jewelry out of the fun? Don’t be scared to mix and match different styles and metals. We love mixing gold and silver hues, especially during the holiday season. Our mixed ring stack with topper makes it super easy to create an effortlessly cool stacked ring look and add a little sparkle to your holidays.
Fall is da bomb for many reasons, but here are our top 3.
1. Rings, jackets, and scarves oh my! As you know, we love layering here at Phyllis + Rosie and Fall is the perfect time to #layeryourway with different pieces that are already in your closet. Get the look here, here, here, and here.
2. Gorgeous foliage so get outta the damn city and go for a drive upstate! Try a day trip to Westchester for apple picking or if you have an entire weekend to kill check out Woodstock. Go for the scenery, but stay for the good eats.
3. Farm. Fresh. Produce. Simple preparation of local, fresh, in-season food make the most memorable meals. You have to go to Phoenicia Diner and get any of the skillets. You can thank us later.
We are FALLing hard for Fall.
Our simple-yet-sophisticated necklaces are versatile and easy to layer relative to your personal style. Phyllis + Rosie does the hard part for you!
This is one of our favorite early fall looks-- a simple denim button down with our best-selling Cecile Necklace worn as a choker partnered with a Lariat V Necklace. Our Cecile is adjustable, making it easy to complement any look you want to rock.
Another great fall staple is our Whitney Necklace -- or as we like to say, "The Lazy Girl's Guide to Layering." This P+R fan favorite goes with everything you want to wear this Fall.
Want to be daring? Try mixing the metals with different shapes to create multiple looks. We promise you -- with a layered Phyllis + Rosie look this Fall, you will be the most stylish pumpkin-picker in town.
Expand your horizons. Don’t limit yourself to just V-neck shirts. Our layered looks work well with all styles, from crew necks to turtle necks. A turtleneck paired with high-waisted jeans and accessorized with a necklace or two is certainly a must-have #FallTrend this season. Turtlenecks can some times appear out-dated, but with a P+R Rocker Bar Necklace you're sure to be the trendsetter.
Stay tuned till next week for our tips + tricks for stacking cuffs!